0 All Booked All Booked All Booked 1345 Civil War Encampment at Fort C.F. Smith Park http://www.54thmass.org/?event=cf-smith-2020&event_date=2020-04-04&reg=1 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr 2020-04-04

Civil War Encampment at Fort C.F. Smith Park


2020-04-04 10:00 2020-04-04 16:00 Europe/London Civil War Encampment at Fort C.F. Smith Park

You are invited to join the staff of Fort C.F. Smith Park for a day of living history with the Union army. From 1861 to 1865, the Union army occupied Arlington County, using it as a defensive line to protect the District of Columbia. Come learn about the rich Civil War history of Arlington County at our Union encampment. The Civil War and Fort C.F. Smith Fort C.F. Smith was constructed by Union Troops in early 1863. The fortification extended the line of Arlington forts to the Potomac River. Along with Forts Strong, Morton, and Woodbury, it functioned as part of the outer perimeter of defenses that protected the Aqueduct Bridge of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. The fort was a lunette with a southern and western face and two flanks, and two bastions on the north side to protect it from attack up the ravines form the Potomac. The fort was entered from the east by a road that crossed Spout Run and proceeded up the hill to Fort Strong. To provide clear lines of fire for Fort C.F. Smith and adjacent forts, all of the trees for miles around were cut down. Many of the trees were used in construction of the forts and support structures. Located east of the fort were the support buildings were the troops ate and slept. The structures including the barracks, mess halls, cook houses, officers quarters, and barn and a headquarters building. When the fort was decommissioned in 1865, the structures were removed and no visible evidence of their existence remains today.

2411 24th St N, Arlington, VA 22207, USA
Hampton Roads Commemoration

You are invited to join the staff of Fort C.F. Smith Park for a day of living history with the Union army. From 1861 to 1865, the Union army occupied Arlington County, using it as a defensive line to protect the District of Columbia. Come learn about the rich Civil War history of Arlington County at our Union encampment.

The Civil War and Fort C.F. Smith
Fort C.F. Smith was constructed by Union Troops in early 1863. The fortification extended the line of Arlington forts to the Potomac River. Along with Forts Strong, Morton, and Woodbury, it functioned as part of the outer perimeter of defenses that protected the Aqueduct Bridge of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. The fort was a lunette with a southern and western face and two flanks, and two bastions on the north side to protect it from attack up the ravines form the Potomac. The fort was entered from the east by a road that crossed Spout Run and proceeded up the hill to Fort Strong. To provide clear lines of fire for Fort C.F. Smith and adjacent forts, all of the trees for miles around were cut down. Many of the trees were used in construction of the forts and support structures.

Located east of the fort were the support buildings were the troops ate and slept. The structures including the barracks, mess halls, cook houses, officers quarters, and barn and a headquarters building. When the fort was decommissioned in 1865, the structures were removed and no visible evidence of their existence remains today.