All Booked All Booked All Booked 981 Camp of Instruction – Ft. Stevens Park http://www.54thmass.org/?event=camp-of-instruction-2016&event_date=2016-04-09&reg=1 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr 2016-04-09

Camp of Instruction – Ft. Stevens Park


2016-04-09 10:00 2016-04-09 18:00 Europe/London Camp of Instruction – Ft. Stevens Park

Fort Stevens was part of the extensive fortifications built around Washington, D.C., during the American Civil War. The fort was constructed in 1861 as “Fort Massachusetts” and later enlarged by the Union Army and renamed “Fort Stevens” after Brig. Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens, who was killed at the Battle of Chantilly, Virginia, on September 1, 1862. In 1861, it had a perimeter of 168 yards and places for 10 cannon. In 1862, it was expanded to 375 yards and 19 guns. It guarded the northern approach to Washington, D.C., the Seventh Street Turnpike. By 1864 Fort Stevens was one part of a thirty-seven mile-long arrangement of fortifications, consisting of sixty-eight forts intended to defend the capital.

13th St NW & Quackenbos St NW, Washington, DC 20011, USA

Fort Stevens was part of the extensive fortifications built around Washington, D.C., during the American Civil War.

The fort was constructed in 1861 as “Fort Massachusetts” and later enlarged by the Union Army and renamed “Fort Stevens” after Brig. Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens, who was killed at the Battle of Chantilly, Virginia, on September 1, 1862. In 1861, it had a perimeter of 168 yards and places for 10 cannon. In 1862, it was expanded to 375 yards and 19 guns.

It guarded the northern approach to Washington, D.C., the Seventh Street Turnpike. By 1864 Fort Stevens was one part of a thirty-seven mile-long arrangement of fortifications, consisting of sixty-eight forts intended to defend the capital.